Kickstart and SuSE?

Egan Ford egan at sense.net
Mon May 24 15:28:08 UTC 2004

IMHO, it does not make sense to use kickstart.

Autoyast is easy and the native installer.  It works and works well.  I have yet
to see a project that successfully replaces the native installer of the OS
(short of cloning) that actually works well and works for every version.  The
appeal of kickstart is that when a new version of RH is out little to no changes
need to be made in your environment to leverage it.  The same is true for
Autoyast.

Netbooting and installing SuSE with AY is very similar to kickstart.  Just read
the autoyast PDF documentation, use "yast2 autoyast" command from a SuSE box to
help create an XML-based config script (this is where I prefer kickstart), and
that's about it.

If you are interested in a complex frontend to kickstart and autoyast, look at
xCAT (xcat.org).