can't start with kickstart

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue May 25 14:04:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Hong Zhu wrote:

>We would like to use kickstart to install RH WS 3 on a blade, which
>only has one USB port for either CDROM drive or floppy drive but not at
>same time.

Not even with a USB hub?

>I have the ks.cfg on the floppy diskette, and ok to boot the
>blade from RH CDROM to the boot command. How am I able to perform
>kickstart without cdrom and floppy being available at same time?

- Pack all the network and storage drivers you need onto a single floppy
(see list archives)
- Put the kickstart file on the CD (see list archives)
- Put the kickstart file on an NFS/HTTP server, and read it over the
network.

>BTW, I also tried to store the ks.cfg on the NFS server (NAS),
>then booted from RH CDROM to boot prompt, and issued:
>ks=nfs:nfs-server-ip-address:/path/to/ks.cfg
>
>but it just hung. I think it requires the use of DHCP server

Try passing the IP address on the kernel command line, e.g.
linux ks=nfs:n.n.n.n:/path ip=x.x.x.x netmask=y.y.y.y gateway=z.z.z.z dns=d.d.d.d

See /usr/share/doc/anaconda-9.1.1 (assuming RHEL3) for full
documentation.

Cheers,
Phil