Create an installation bypassing the boot process

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Nov 18 09:17:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Mihai Popa wrote:

>I'm trying to create a new install on a secondary disk mounted on a
>machine which already runs Linux (Fedora Core 3). I've been trying (
>with no success :( ) to figure out a way to start anaconda from the
>command line. Looks like the it is always called by the kernel, right
>(at/after) boot.

No, there's no magic in the kernel; it launches /sbin/init as always.
init calls loader, loader calls /usr/sbin/anaconda (usually). See
loader2/loader.c for details. Please then reconsider what you're trying
to accomplish and why - running the installer like this is unusual and
unnecessary. Why not simply use the partitioning and bootloader
kickstart options to install onto the secondary disk?

Cheers,
Phil