Kickstart FC1 with FC3 kernel?

Greg Morgan drkludge at cox.net
Fri Nov 26 19:47:59 UTC 2004

Phil Oester wrote:
> Any ideas on whether it is possible to use a FC3 kernel and/or
> anaconda to load FC1?  I've got hundreds of boxes on FC1 so
> don't really want to upgrade, but just recently we've received
> some Dell Optiplex 280 boxes which only support USB keyboards,
> which won't work with the FC1 kickstart.  In addition, they
> use ICH6 SATA, which FC1 doesn't recognize.
>
> Sure, I could try to update all the necessary drivers to support
> this hardware in modules.cgz, but was hoping there was an 'easier'
> way by just using the FC3 boot kernel.
>
> Thoughts?

In theory, I think you are correct.  Anaconda is just an installer.
There may be some pitfalls you will have to work around.  I have not
installed FC3 yet.  I hope to do that this weekend.  There may be some
policy changes in anaconda from FC1 to FC3.  I think LVM may be required
now.  I don't know if you can get around it.  FC2 went to the ALSA sound
system.  On a server you may not care or even have sound to worry about.
  I don't know how the FC3 anaconda will leave an FC1 box.  Speaking of
sound FC2 and on use a 2.6 kernel.  The 2.6 kernel uses a modprobe.conf
file for kernel modules now.  2.4 used a modules.conf file.  You may be
completely out of luck if the 2.4 kernels don't have support for SATA
devices.  If a later version does, then you'd have to rebuild both the
anaconda kernel and remaster the installer so that it has a later kernel
rpm.

You could try say the FC3 2.6 kernel with the FC1 anaconda installer to
avoid some of these problems.  I am just guessing here as I have never
tried something like that.  However, in your circumstance it may be a
sane thing to try. ;-)

Good luck.  It would be interesting to hear the results of your
experiment.  It sounds like you my have a snake with bolts coming out of
its neck.  We'll see you with whacked out hair saying, "It's alive". LOL

Greg