User-interactivity in %pre

Martin Høy martin.hoy at pvv.ntnu.no
Wed Nov 10 13:41:37 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm adapting FC3 to a rather large install-session at the
Norwegian Meteorological Institute (around 200 machines).

I'm trying to create a %pre-script that does:

1) If the machine is allready installed with RH9, format / and
   install a fresh FC3, but keep /home (and another partition).
2) If the machine is not previously installed with RH9, create
   all needed partitions and install a fresh FC3.
3) Detect whether the machine has a SATA-controller, and thus sda
   should be used for installs, not hda.

I'm using the labels of exisiting partitions to determine whether
the machine has been installed with RH9 (the other alternative is
an old Debian-installation), and which partition contains what.

I either case, I want the user to confirm that my script has
guessed right, before the installation continues and potentially
removes the current /home...

How can I interact with the user in the %pre-section? My current
script is attached: The interactivity-part in main() is commented
out, but the rest of the script runs as expected and creates the
correct files under /tmp/.

Any hints on how to read input (y/n) from the user and either
proceed or abort the installation, are very much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin
--
"Computer science is not about computers any more than astronomy
is about telescopes." -- EW Dijkstra