Logging?

Chris Mckenzie Chris.McKenzie at entrust.com
Mon Nov 22 18:17:25 UTC 2004

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Chris Adams
Sent: November 22, 2004 1:16 PM
To: 'Discussion list about Kickstart'
Subject: Re: Logging?

Once upon a time, Chris Mckenzie <Chris.McKenzie at entrust.com> said:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on handling kickstart installation
> failure logging? If a kickstart succeeds in installing, I know because
> my post script runs. If it fails, either within the middle of the ks
> process or fails to run my post script, the system will reboot without
> pausing to let me know what the problem was.

I capture the output of my %post script by doing:

  %post
  cat > /post-install <<EOF
  # script goes here
  # must change "$" to "\$" and "`" to "\`" to avoid shell quoting
  EOF
  /bin/bash -x /post-install < /dev/null 2>&1 | tee /post-install.log

It would be nice if there was a %post option to save the output.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>