Scripted RAID config

Peter Eisch peter at boku.net
Fri Oct 8 00:51:09 UTC 2004

After sending the email I came up with a hack:

 for file in sda sdb sdc sdd sde sdf sdg
 do
  dd if=/dev/$file of=/dev/null count=1
  if [ $? == '0' ]; then
    hds="$hds $file"
  fi
 done

But I like this much better:

 hds=`awk '{print $4}' < /proc/partitions |grep sd[a-z]$`

I can skip the hardware raid controllers (cciss/ida <--assuming that's a
raid controller) as folks are already doing hardware raid.

Would a scsi cdrom show up under /dev/cd* or might it pose as an sd-device?
(I've never loaded a system with something other than atapi drives it
seems.)

Many thanks,

peter