Scripted RAID config

Michael Blandford mlblandf at sedona.ch.intel.com
Thu Oct 7 23:20:42 UTC 2004

Peter Eisch wrote:

>In the Customization Guide there's an example for how to sniff out drives on
>a system, but that's really only pertinent to IDE-interface devices.  Is
>there a similarly clever way to scan scsi controllers?

Have your script walk through /proc/partitions.  Look for device names
like sd[a-z], hd[a-z],  ida/c[0-9]d[0-9], cciss/c[0-9]d[0-9].

That should identify all the drives the kernel has found.  Obviously you
have to skip the actual partitions and keep the disk names.

You have to skip cdrom's as well.

Michael

Disclaimer: The content of this message is my personal opinion only and
although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way
represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on
behalf of Intel on this matter.