RHEL3 update 3 and scsi_hostadapter

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Tue Oct 12 22:09:36 UTC 2004

Be careful when building via kickstart with RHEL3 and update 3, if
you have multiple scsi_hostadapters.  Whichever adapter the PCI scan
sees first will be aliased to scsi_hostadapter in modprobe.conf.

Here's what happended to me...

I ran my normal kickstart scripts on a Compaq server with a cpqarray
scsi_hostadapter and a lpfc scsi_hostadapter.  The cpqarray is, of
course, the Compaq local SCSI array, and lpfc is the driver for the
Emulex HBA fibre card.

Using RHEL3 update 3, the lpfc driver is detected right out of the
box (good), and on this server it was detected *before* the local cpqarray
driver (bad).  In my kickstart scripts I have "clearpart --all", and since
the SAN drive was detected first, the SAN drive was wiped clean, and a
new OS was installed on the SAN -- not *at all* what I wanted.

So, I'm open to suggestions as to an elagant way to create a kickstart
install that forces the order of the scsi_hostadapters.

Jason