Fwd: Problem with mkiso

Greg Morgan drkludge at cox.net
Thu Oct 14 05:21:23 UTC 2004

Edgar,

I was bored tonight so I thought I would fool around with your issue. If
you are planning to make changes to the CD set, then you will want to go
through and perform all the steps as described in the documentation.
The following steps bypass much of the documentation.

I tried the steps on a real FC2 cd that I installed from.  I received
the following errors.  They appear to be fatal to me:
cp: reading `/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/base/comps.rpm': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/base/hdlist': Input/output error
cp: reading `/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/base/hdlist2': Input/output error
Moreover, not all of the directories were copied from the cd into my
working directory.

Since I still had the ISO file that I used to create the CD with I tried
these steps.  They are a little different from the two sites listed
below but have the same intent.  You will have to adapt the file paths
to your system. (The pathing is for a samba/NFS server.)
# Switch to root
su - root
# Go to the ISO directory location.
cd /home/ddrive/fedoracore2
# Mount the ISO file.
mount -t iso9660 -o loop FC2-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/cdrom
#Make a set of working directories
mkdir -p /home/fdrive/fc2iso
mkdir -p /home/fdrive/fc2iso/i386
# Copy the files from the CD/ISO.
cp -a /mnt/cdrom/* /home/fdrive/fc2iso/i386
cp /mnt/cdrom/.discinfo /home/fdrive/fc2iso/i386
# Clean up the original cd TRANS.TBL files.
find /home/fdrive/fc2iso -name TRANS.TBL -exec rm -f {} \;
# Go to the location of disc 1 files.
cd /home/fdrive/fc2iso/i386
# Make sure the /home/fdrive/fc2iso/i386 directory has
# the same files as the /mnt/cdrom directory .
ls -l
# Make sure that I create the iso file in the directory
# above the directory containing the files in the iso.
cd /home/fdrive/fc2iso
# Create the iso.  Note the \ has to be the last character
# on the line.  I did this for readability on my part.
mkisofs -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
-c isolinux/boot.cat -J -p "chillux at mycompany.com" \
-V "Fedora Core 2 with updates disc1" \
-r -T -v -A "Fedora Core Linux/i386 2" \
-o fedoracore2-disc1.iso -no-emul-boot \
-boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -l i386

The final output showed:
  99.18% done, estimate finish Wed Oct 13 21:52:39 2004
Total translation table size: 131221
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 54553
Total directory bytes: 96256
Path table size(bytes): 94
Done with: The File(s)             Block(s)    332482
Writing:   Ending Padblock         Start Block 332589
Done with: Ending Padblock         Block(s)    150
Max brk space used 8e000
332739 extents written (649 MB)

# I am done with the mounted ISO file so unmount the file.
umount /mnt/cdrom

My version of mkisofs is 2.01a27.

I hope this helps,
Greg