ACPI's "power off" enabled kernel?

Tetsuo Handa from-kickstart-list at i-love.sakura.ne.jp
Sat Oct 16 21:43:32 UTC 2004

  Hello,

I'm using RHEL3 AS.
I want the PC power off by executing /sbin/poweroff ,
but the binary kernel RPM (2.4.21-4.EL) seems to be
compiled without ACPI support.
The PC supports ACPI, and the power off works for
RHL9's kernel (2.4.20-8) and vanilla kernels (2.4.26, 2.4.27)
if I recompile them with APM and ACPI support.

I recompiled 2.4.21-4.EL with ACPI support
(choosing [*] for all ACPI related topics)
based on /boot/config-2.4.21-4.EL ,
but the power off still doesn't work.

The PC is IBM's BladeCenter, with HyperThreading and ACPI support,
but no APM support ( the kernel says "apm: BIOS not found." ).
I tried both UP and SMP kernel configurations.

Can the RHEL3's kernel support "power off" functionality using ACPI?
Is there a binary kernel RPM compiled with "power off" functionality
using ACPI for RHEL3?

Regards.

-----
     Tetsuo Handa