trouble with multiple scsi adaptors and kickstart

Alan Horn ahorn at geminimobile.com
Sun Oct 17 01:19:23 UTC 2004

Hardware :

HP DL380
Qlogic qla2300 type HBAs (two of them)
'cciss' driver internal raid

I'm kickstarting an install to the internal raid 0 drives. The qla2300
HBAs are both pathed into a SAN that will present disks, but which
shouldn't be touched at all during install (data disks).

I find two symptoms :

1) install probes the various scsi luns presented by the HBAs off the SAN,
   and pops up dialogs complaining when it can't access them as it expects
   This interrputs the unattanded kickstart

2) The MBR does not get written out correctly to /dev/cciss/c0d0 at the
   end of the install.

My working theory so far is that the order of detection of the
scsi_hostadaptors (qla2300 then cciss) is messing things up.

I confirmed by looking at /etc/modules.conf on a system built when there
were no LUNS presented by the SAN :

alias scsi_hostadapter qla2300
alias scsi_hostadapter1 cciss
alias scsi_hostadapter2 cciss_2445

So my guess is that it's attempting to write the boot record to /dev/sda
(first lun off qla2300 device).. this would be pretty damn bad if there
were actual live data that we cared about there :)

So I need qla2300 to be below all of the others, and I need it at boot
time of the install kernel, in order for this to run smoothly, unattended,
and not mess with the san disks regardless of what LUNs are presented.

All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Al