Network Kickstart FC2 installation on PXE and NFS

flw flw at zet.zenucom.com
Wed Oct 20 00:05:33 UTC 2004

> Dear All,
>
> I tried to set-up a kickstart installation through PXE and NFS.
>
> On the server I have setup the DHCP, TFTP and NFS.
>
> On dhcpd.conf I have set the :
> next-server 192.168.20.100 (the dhcp, tftpd and nfs server).
> filename "pxelinux.0"
>
> On the /tftpboot, I moved the /tftpboot/linux-install content to
> /tftpboot
> basically the moved file is pxelinux.0 and the pxelinux.cfg directory.
>
> I have placed on the /tftpboot the vmlinuz and initrd.img from FC2
> CD No1  (/images/pxeboot/*) .
>
> To test the system I am putting this in the
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
>
> label install
> KERNEL vmlinuz
> APPEND initrd=initrd.img
> IPAPPEND 1
>
> With this configuration, the client is booting OK, pick up the dynamic IP
> address from DHCP, start the vmlinuz and initrd.img,
> start the text based installation from /sbin/loader OK.
> Then I choose to get the install tree from NFS server 192.168.20.100
> with directory /tftpdboot/fc2.  The installation then goes to windows
> interactive mode, and I can install FC2 till its completion OK.
>
> Now I want to use the Kickstart, so I changed the
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
> file to this:
>
> label install
> KERNEL vmlinuz
> APPEND initrd=initrd.img ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg
> IPAPPEND 1
>
> I generate the ks.cfg using the GUI Kickstart configurator.
>
> With this configuration during startup, the client load vmlinuz and
> initrd.img OK.
> then it goes to /sbin/loader and stops there.
>
> On the server I could not see that the NFS request ever being made by
> the client.
>
> I have put different flags like netowork ksdevice, etd on the
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
> file to no avail.
>
> Can anybody help please.
> Do I need to create a specific initrd.img with NFS enable?  If yes how
> do I do it.  Thanks.
>

> FL. Wahidin
>
>No NFS server? You've instructed Kickstart to fetch its config file fro
>"ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg", specifying an "nfs" server
>(the other [network] option is http).
>
>To quickly setup NFS, try this:
>1. Add a line "/tftpboot	*(ro,async)" to /etc/exports
>2. Start up the "portmap", "nfslock", and "nfs" services in order (e.g.
>"service portmap start"), if they're not already running.
>

>Cheers,
>Phil

Thanks,

The NFS server works OK, because if I go to the interactive mode, (ie.
specifying
label install
    KERNEL vmlinuz
    APPEND initrd=initrd.img
    IPAPPEND 1 )
and specify exactly the same server address and mounting directory
during the installation,
the installation will proceed by mounting the NFS path fine without problem.

I have noticed from the /var/log/messages,
that when using the nfs kickstart configuration( ie. specifying
    label install
    KERNEL vmlinuz
    APPEND initrd=initrd.img ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg
    IPAPPEND 1 )
the NFS request was never being attempted by the client at all.

I have also tryed by specifying
APPEND   ksdevice=eth0 initrd=initrd.img
ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg
or
APPEND   ksdevice=eth0 initrd=initrd.img network
ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg

And the NFS mount is still never being attempted at all.

Regards,

FLWahidin