Kickstart Methodology

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 15:20:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Ken Teh wrote:

>Does pre-patch work?

Certainly does (with a minor caveat about kernel version and loadable
modules in %post scripts).

>I seem to remember that somewhere along the way, RedHat required that
>updated rpms had to be installed in order.

They do; the package ordering moved out of anaconda some time around
FC2 or RHEL3. What was a simple "genhdlist" became a
"genhdlist;pkgorder;genhdlist" (incomplete, ask Google).

>One point I will mention:  If there are a lot of update rpms (like if
>you're running an old RedHat release), the updating part in %post takes
>a pretty long time.

There's a slight optimization used when in "install" mode; the RPM
transaction is done "unsafely" with regard to the DB4 writes.  Your
command-line rpm (probably) doesn't do this. Search for "nofsync" in the
anaconda sources.

Cheers,
Phil