<newbie>Building a custom RHEL 3 DVD</newbie>

prasad jlv prasadjlv at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 14:08:58 UTC 2004

**** I am new to Linux, so please forgive me if this
sounds too simple ***

I am trying to build a self-installable RHEL DVD
and I need some pointers. My goal is to able to do a
simple boot from the CD (maybe with some flags) and do
a hands-free install.

Here's what I have done so far:

* copied the 4 RHEL CD's on to the system
* added Intel Hance Rapids and Intel e1000 drivers to
initrd.img
* created a DVD iso using mkdvdiso.sh that someone at
Red Hat wrote.
* I was able to boot from the DVD but the install
complains that anaconda CD was not found and also
about some boot disk mismatch.

My questions:

* is the install complaining because I have not added
the drivers to stage2.img or is it because of the
.buildstamp file in all those image files? If it is
the .buildstamp file, how do I fix this issue?

* where can I find more info on the boot sequence?
what is the purpose of each of the image files and
when do they get called?

* where should the ks.cfg file reside? should I place
it in /tmp of initrd.img and then say
file:/tmp/ks.cfg? Is there an automatic probe order
for the ks config?

Thanks in advance...

--prasad