Kickstart Methodology

Terje Kvernes terjekv at math.uio.no
Thu Oct 28 12:10:07 UTC 2004

Brian Long <brilong at cisco.com> writes:

> I'd like some ideas on how folks on this list customize their
> install base.  We currently create a completely customized kickstart
> tree based on RHEL 3 where we integrate third-party and
> internally-written RPMs.

  we do stuff like this post-install.  we basically install a
  skeleton that lets boxes get online and then have cron and
  firstboot-scripts that fix the installation.  this gives us a lot
  less hassle, as we have a fully working box to work with.

> I'm thinking we should just use Red Hat's kickstart (comps.xml) as
> it comes on the CD (each quarter) and bootstrap Red Carpet or RHN
> into the mix to install all third-party and internal RPMs after the
> initial kickstart.

  that's pretty much what we do as well.  it's easier to just let RHEL
  install itself as it chooses and then modify things from there.
  another reason for having cron clone a master nodes RPM table is
  later upgrades, what happens if you choose to install an RPM?  do
  you install it on every node, or just install it on a single box and
  have every node out there check the master node and update itself?  =)

--
Terje