replacing the kernel used for kickstart.

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 12:44:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Terje Kvernes wrote:

>  now, I tried to just replace vmlinuz with a (large) static kernel.
>  this worked, in the sense that the system booted with that kernel,
>  but then the system proceeds to boot from the harddrive, not from
>  the USB pen and hence it doesn't start the kickstart process.

"boot from harddrive" suggests the initrd isn't being correctly picked
up. Is it present on the pendrive, next to the kernel? Is the bootloader
being passed the correct initrd= argument?

>  obviously, there is something more than just replacing the kernel
>  that's needed.

Rather than tapping in at this point, I'd suggest recreating the
kernel-BOOT package, patched to your liking, and rebuilding anaconda.

>  [1] I'd also need to make the kernel available after the machine
>      boots from the harddrive.

Patching the kernel SRPM (as above) would also provide this. Did you
check the kernel-unsupported RPMs; perhaps the hardware you need to use
is covered by them?

Cheers,
Phil