Partial User Intervention

Hal Wine hal at reactivity.com
Wed Sep 22 21:22:31 UTC 2004

Ed Brown wrote, around 09/22/2004 01:25 PM:
> ... but providing network settings as
> parameters at the 'boot:' prompt is as straightforward as it gets, and
> may be your only option for "user interaction" depending on type of
> install you are doing (if you are retrieving the kickstart file from the
> network, for example).  If you have params that don't change often
> (dns=..., netmask=...), they can be included in your custom
> syslinux.cfg, like:

fwiw, you can do custom mods to a network obtained ks.cfg file. Use the
%include directive, and have the %pre scriptlet write the relevant data
to the file. (Note, the file must exist, or anaconda will abort)

I write various computed info to files in /tmp (e.g.
/tmp/group-include), and reference that at the appropriate place in the
ks.cfg file with a
   %include /tmp/group-include
works like a champ -- no munging of the ks.cfg file proper.

If you want graphics, you pretty much have to use the snack module from
python, as it works in text mode (and dialog isn't available to %pre
scriptlets).

--Hal