replacing the kernel used for kickstart.

Terje Kvernes terjekv at math.uio.no
Mon Sep 27 15:19:00 UTC 2004

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> writes:

> TK> ah.  that works.  but, we then get VGs created for LVM2.  no
> TK> device mapper in our friendly Enterprise kernel.  right.  we're
> TK> replacing the kernel anyway, but this is getting, uhm, hacky.
> TK> :-)
>
> Yeah, I forgot that RHEL runs 2.4.  You might have better luck using
> the FC1 images, but you're right that it's getting really hackish at
> this point.

  oh well, it ended up working.  adding this to the end of the
  kickstart isn't pretty:

# cd /
# wget http://<distserver>/rhel/stage-base.tar.gz
# tar xvzf stage-base.tar.gz
#
# mkdir /sys
#
# mv /usr/sbin/kudzu /usr/sbin/kudzu.gone
# echo "#!/bin/sh" > /usr/sbin/kudzu
# chmod a+rx /usr/sbin/kudzu
#
# ROOTDIR=/2.6-support
#
# cd $ROOTDIR
#
#  cp -av $ROOTDIR/halt /etc/init.d/halt &&\
#    cp -av $ROOTDIR/rc.sysinit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
#
# cat > /boot/grub/grub.conf<<EOF
# default=0
# timeout=10
# splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
# title 2.6.7
#         root (hd0,0)
#         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-staticnet root=/dev/hda1
# EOF

  the stage-base.tar.gz contains device-mapper, lvm, module-init-tools
  and a few other things as binaries that just get written directly
  into the filesystem.  it also contains a kernel with all the network
  support one can ever need, both with a 2.4 and a 2.6 kernel.  the
  2.4 kernel is patched with device-mapper to make it work with LVM2.

--
Terje