replacing the kernel used for kickstart.

Terje Kvernes terjekv at math.uio.no
Fri Sep 17 12:22:59 UTC 2004

  okay, I've got pretty much everything working the way I want to,
  except that RHEL3s lack of hardware support.  the last step is to
  replace the kernel used for kickstarts[1].  I'm installing from a
  USB pen, with packages coming from http, so I have plenty of space
  on the pen to hold all the modules and drives I want.

  now, I tried to just replace vmlinuz with a (large) static kernel.
  this worked, in the sense that the system booted with that kernel,
  but then the system proceeds to boot from the harddrive, not from
  the USB pen and hence it doesn't start the kickstart process.
  obviously, there is something more than just replacing the kernel
  that's needed.

  now, I can use 2.4 if I have to, but I'd really like to use 2.6 if I
  can.  all I wish to do is to replace the RHEL-kernels with a working
  kernel with one patch.

  [1] I'd also need to make the kernel available after the machine
      boots from the harddrive.

--
Terje