replacing the kernel used for kickstart.

Terje Kvernes terjekv at math.uio.no
Fri Sep 17 13:51:56 UTC 2004

Philip Rowlands <phr at doc.ic.ac.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Terje Kvernes wrote:
>
> > kernel-unsupported RPMs?  no, I didn't!
>
> $ rpm -qlp kernel-unsupported-*i686*.rpm | grep sk98
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-15.0.4.EL/unsupported/drivers/net/sk98lin/sk98lin.o
>
> It seems to be there.

  it's not the availability of the module, it's the version that
  worries me.  the version in the standard RHEL-kernels is old
  compared to what we find in 2.4 or 2.6, and those are old compared
  to the versions SysKonnect have released.

  <url: http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg295638.html >

  to quote myself with regards to patch size:

# against 2.6.9-rc1-mm4 we're looking at just over a megabyte.

> > Thanks for the pointer, but the question of application still
> > stands.  I don't really have any great need to fiddle with the
> > installation (we do that heavily after boot anyway), so I've never
> > really looked much at Anaconda and the documentation I've found is
> > mostly geared to edit the installation or the packages, not the
> > kernel and the initrd.  :-/
>
> I don't have a direct link sorry, but I'd refer you to the archives
> of this mailing list to find how to insert extra modules into
> initrd; it's simpler than my previous suggestions (although not
> trivial).

  I think I'll go for a whole new kernel though, if I'm going to get
  my paws dirty, I might as well do the job.  heck, I might even
  document it.  ;-)

--
Terje