replacing the kernel used for kickstart.

Terje Kvernes terjekv at math.uio.no
Fri Sep 17 14:22:13 UTC 2004

Terje Kvernes <terjekv at math.uio.no> writes:

> Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> writes:
>
> > I was able to install FC2+updates on a machine using the FC3T1
> > vmlinuz and initrd.img (because the FC2 ones wouldn't boot on that
> > hardware).  I don't know if you could install RHEL3 the same way but
> > it's easy to try and if it works it would save you some time.
>
> hm, just replace the initrd and the vmlinuz on the RHEL-installation
> with those from FC.  interesting idea, I'm just curious on how
> schizophrenic the box will be with afterwards, but it _will_ grab
> packages from the URL we've given, and that's a RHEL-mirror.  heh.
> okay, I'll try on a box here.  thanks.

  heh.  that went pretty much as expected.  everything boots, and is
  happy, but then we expect to find a Fedora-directory to use for http
  install.  symlinking that to the RHEL directory (hey, it didn't cost
  anything to test) gives the classical "your installation media
  doesn't match the stuff I found" error.  sanity checks and all that.

  so, back to the drawing board.

--
Terje