Minimal Install Guidelines

Greg Morgan drkludge at cox.net
Wed Apr 27 02:40:18 UTC 2005

dan wrote:
<snip>

>> -dant
>>

> Well, I got it down to 479M.  Yay for me.  The one problem I see is
> glibc-common is over 200M in itself.
>
> I've debated in the past about compiling every package, in source form,
> against a smaller libc, such as uClibc, but thought that this would be a
> HUGE pain in the ass just to save 200M.  However, uClibc's library, in
> it's fullest form, is around 50M.
>
> However cool it would be, I think I'd just be wasting my time.

Dan,

There is a practical side in what your are trying to do.  The smaller
the binaries and install base, then the lower the chance for a potential
buffer overflow.  I don't know of anyone that has done uClibc on the
scale that your are talking about.  However, take a look at the leaf
project at the links below.  The bering-uclibc is a Linux firewall that
runs off a 1.44Meg floppy disk. Browse the cvs repository.  I believe
there is a buildtool that automates part of what the team has done with
uClibc.  That tool may be of interest to you if you really have the time
to shrink Fedora.  I think you may have some challenges, however. Just
like Anaconda, all leaf firewalls use busybox.

SF Project Page
http://sourceforge.net/projects/leaf

There is a picture at the bottom of the description page.
http://leaf-project.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=2&MMN_position=16:16

Bering-uclibc CVS.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/leaf/src/bering-uclibc/

Greg