Ethernet probe order (again)

AGHEMO Danilo lists at xoul.com
Tue Apr 5 16:12:25 UTC 2005

I'm experiencing some problems trying to install Fedora Core 2 via
PXE/Kickstart on some HP ProLiant DL3x0 G3 servers.

These server have two Broadcom BCM5703X Gigabit NICs on board and two
Intel 82546EB Gigabit NICs inside one PCI slot. The first two NICs are
connected to a network switch, while the other two PCI NICs are cross-
connected to another server.

It happens that the Intel NICs are always probed and found before the
Broadcom NICs, so that e1000 is used for eth0 and eth1 while tg3 is used
for eth2 and eth3. Actually, I would prefer to use eth0 and eth1 with
tg3 and eth2 and eth3 with e1000.

Now I'm getting to the point: I would like to load a kickstart file via
ksdevice=eth0 and have eth0 refer to my first tg3 card after reboot. How
can I "reorder" my network cards at kickstart time?

Maybe I'm getting fool, but I'm sure I had done this before: after a
manual installation, using lspci I can see that I/O ports for the Intel
cards starts at 4000 and 4040 each, with a size of 64 each, so I used a
reserve=0x4000,128 along with other append parameters... But this is not
working on these server! Maybe I should use some pci=whatever? Any idea?

I can't use ksdevice=eth0 to load my kickstart file, but if I use
ksdevice=eth2 I can manage to install my server. But after reboot I
can't reach my server, since eth0 is my cross-connected e1000 card. I've
even tried to place a "device eth tg3" inside my kickstart file, but
with no success.

What kind of param should I pass to my kernel to have ksdevice=eth0
refer to my first tg3 card? What can I put inside my kickstart file to
"swap" eth0/1 with eth2/3 so that, again, eth0 is my first tg3 card?

I know that I can just modify /etc/modprobe.conf after install, but this
seems not to be the smartest choice... I've read of a patch by Patrick
Device, but I would like not to modify any package...

Can you help?