cfengine for maintaining kickstart files

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 15 17:06:46 UTC 2005

You might consider looking at how much of what distinguishes your
kickstart files could actually be done with cfengine instead.  Your
example of root passwords is exactly the kind of thing that could be in
your cfengine configuration files, rather than in kickstart.  Even
packages, above and beyond the base and core groups, can be installed
via cfengine, rather than the packages list in the kickstart file.  And
adding a little runtime flexibility to kickstart can take care of the
fringe cases, avoiding the need for a special kickstart file for one or
two machines.  I've posted before about how to allow for runtime
changes, to an otherwise default partitioning scheme for example.

-Ed