Kivckstart vis USB cdrom

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sat Apr 16 16:02:44 UTC 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Gerald Waugh wrote:

>First post;

Welcome.

>We are installing CentOS4 via a USB cdrom, and have a problem.
>The server boots just fine from the USB cdrom.
>At the boot prompt we enter "linux ks=cdrom".
>If we do nothing else, the install drops into 'text mode'

With a language prompt? That happens when the kickstart file can't be
found (for whatever reason).

>If we pull the USB cable and reinsert when the console reports "running
>/sbin/loader" the kickstart script is run and everything is fine.

Sounds like:
- The BIOS is using the CD drive correctly as a boot device.
- ISOLINUX is discovering the kernel and initrd properly
- The kernel doesn't realise, unless triggered by the hot-plug, that the
cdrom is what you mean by ks=cdrom

At a guess, either try ks=/dev/scd?? if the drive shows up as a SCSI
device, or see if there's are kernel USB/CD/SCSI options which can be
passed in with ks=cdrom to influence the probe.

Cheers,
Phil