Minimal Install Guidelines

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Tue Apr 26 22:20:44 UTC 2005

Philip Rowlands wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, dan wrote:
>

>>Is there some sort of template that you guys use to create and install
>>a minimalistic install set, that is small but functional?  I'm about to
>>start going through the comps.xml template and picking and choosing
>>what I want/need, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if necessary.
>

> Minimal as in lightweight, or minimal as in
> must-fit-on-a-64MB-flash-card? If the latter, then a stock Fedora
> install won't cut it.
>
> If you merely wish to improve build times and decrease disk usage,
> however, try specifying just the @Base group and any other individual
> packages you need. IIRC this gives something in the low-hundreds MB.
>

> Cheers,
> Phil

Phil -

Like I said, I've accomplished a small install aroudn the neighborhood
of 480M, which works, but I'd like to go smaller.

The target platform is not an embedded one, I just want to cut down on
the whole system footprint, and would like to take a proactive approach
to security by installing only the most required of packages.  From
there, I can add to the system what I see fit, and when i see fit.  I
don't care about flash cards (but that'd be pretty cool, huh??), I want
"minimal as in lightweight".

IIRC, the manual states that @Base and @Core groups are installed by
default, however, I believe specific packages can be "removed" from
those groups, or not installed, by prefixing each package name with a
"-" under %packagse.  I'm going to try to give this a shot.

Regardless, I'll report my findings.

Thanks!
-dant