Minimal Install Guidelines

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Tue Apr 26 23:11:30 UTC 2005

dan wrote:
> Philip Rowlands wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, dan wrote:
>>

>>> IIRC, the manual states that @Base and @Core groups are installed by
>>> default, however, I believe specific packages can be "removed" from
>>> those groups, or not installed, by prefixing each package name with a
>>> "-" under %packagse.  I'm going to try to give this a shot.
>>

>> Packages can be excluded, but be aware of the
>> --ignoredeps/--resolvedeps/--ignoremissing flags to %packages, which
>> decide how anaconda will react to missing dependencies.
>>
>> It *is* possible to remove some leaf-node packages from @Base and @Core,
>> but I don't know of a quick'n'easy way to suggest for pruning. (At one
>> point I had a notion to write a GUI tool for this, but I was befuddled
>> by the rpm Python libs. Perhaps someone will chime in to point out the
>> myriad dependency-tracking package management GUIs which already exist.)
>>

> Yes, it'd be nice to see something like that, a dependency list of some
> sort, in the same manner in which we have a comps.xml, haha.
>
> Well, I appreciate your time.  I'm attempting a kickstart with @Base and
> @Core, with a few packages missing.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll report
> back later.
>
> Thanks
> -dant

Well, I got it down to 479M.  Yay for me.  The one problem I see is
glibc-common is over 200M in itself.

I've debated in the past about compiling every package, in source form,
against a smaller libc, such as uClibc, but thought that this would be a
HUGE pain in the ass just to save 200M.  However, uClibc's library, in
it's fullest form, is around 50M.

However cool it would be, I think I'd just be wasting my time.

Thanks again for the help
-dant