ks] Re: Getting install log on a remote machine

Daniel Spratlen daniel.spratlen at cox.net
Wed Aug 10 16:06:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:33 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > However, it is entirely possible and indeed workable, I think, to simply send
> > the raw syslog message using sockets and avoid a syslog API altogether,
> > leaving the remote log server to make sense of it (which has already been
> > mentioned by someone else, and is I think the default behaviour of syslog -
> > but I'm wiling to be corrected). But smarter heads than mine will decide.
>
> I think a good case can be made for both.  The syslog interface gives
> you a quick way to get remote logging up and running because it doesn't
> require any special programming.  On the other hand, having a socket
> interface gives you the ability to write whatever crazy program you want
> to process the log information.
>
> On the other hand, I don't want to make the boot parameters too
> complicated.  There's already too many of them and some are pretty
> goofy.
>
> - Chris

I agree, using syslog to accomplish remote logging would be extremely
nice.  Having other methods may be useful, but in environments with
large installs of *nix boxes, dedicated syslog servers are common
already.

As for getting the syslog option via dhcp, that would also be very nice,
however it should be an available option in the kickstart configuration
file as well.

In addition to allowing logging of an install, it'd be nice if the same
kickstart configuration variable could be used to specify the ip of the
syslog server to be used after the install is done.  Sure you can do
this fairly easily with a post script, but it'd be one less thing to
worry about.

thanks,
Daniel