ks] Re: Getting install log on a remote machine

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Aug 9 20:57:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Chris Lumens wrote:

> Not yet.  I just started working on all the logging support in anaconda
> today.  The goal is to convert it to using Python's logging class, which
> will allow us to log to files, syslog running on a remote machine, mail,
> web servers, sockets, etc.  I don't know if all those mechanisms will
> make the cut for what we'll support, but at least one network mechanism
> will be supported.
>
> I guess now's as good a time as any to ask if people have any particular
> features, annoyances, or comments on logging.

Assumedly, you will need to pass out a logserver IP or name,
and append it to a working /etc/syslog.conf, an
(re)start the syslogd.

I have seen parameters to pass out timeservers in DHCP; I
assume we can do logservers in like fashion (DHCP options 004
or 042 for timeservers) -- It seems to be:
       Option code 7 (Log Server Option).
per this documentation:
    	http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/109/dhcp_and_docsis_config_cm.html
but I have not seen DHCP provided logservers documented in
Linux space, nor tested this. (I will look into it)

In testing, the option line:
    option log-servers 10.16.1.253 ;
seems to work as a matter of syntax for my local
/etc/dhcpd.conf , and I assume the Option can be extracted in
a Python application to build the syslog destination IP.

- Russ Herrold