ks] Re: Getting install log on a remote machine

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Wed Aug 10 01:35:01 UTC 2005

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Chris Lumens wrote:
>
> >Not yet.  I just started working on all the logging support in anaconda
> >today.  The goal is to convert it to using Python's logging class, which
> >will allow us to log to files, syslog running on a remote machine, mail,
> >web servers, sockets, etc.  I don't know if all those mechanisms will
> >make the cut for what we'll support, but at least one network mechanism
> >will be supported.
> >
> >I guess now's as good a time as any to ask if people have any particular
> >features, annoyances, or comments on logging.
>
> Assumedly, you will need to pass out a logserver IP or name,
> and append it to a working /etc/syslog.conf, an
> (re)start the syslogd.
>
> I have seen parameters to pass out timeservers in DHCP; I
> assume we can do logservers in like fashion (DHCP options 004
> or 042 for timeservers) -- It seems to be:
>       Option code 7 (Log Server Option).
> per this documentation:
>    	http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/109/dhcp_and_docsis_config_cm.html
> but I have not seen DHCP provided logservers documented in
> Linux space, nor tested this. (I will look into it)
>
> In testing, the option line:
>    option log-servers 10.16.1.253 ;
> seems to work as a matter of syntax for my local
> /etc/dhcpd.conf , and I assume the Option can be extracted in
> a Python application to build the syslog destination IP.

I've seen it provided by both ISC and official (in this case, SGI) vendors, so
I think it's a good bet that a syslog server name can be provided during lease
acquisition.

However, it is entirely possible and indeed workable, I think, to simply send
the raw syslog message using sockets and avoid a syslog API altogether,
leaving the remote log server to make sense of it (which has already been
mentioned by someone else, and is I think the default behaviour of syslog -
but I'm wiling to be corrected). But smarter heads than mine will decide.

Klaus