ks] Re: Getting install log on a remote machine

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Wed Aug 10 16:36:56 UTC 2005

> >However, it is entirely possible and indeed workable, I think, to simply
> >send the raw syslog message using sockets and avoid a syslog API
> >altogether, leaving the remote log server to make sense of it (which has
> >already been mentioned by someone else, and is I think the default
> >behaviour of syslog - but I'm wiling to be corrected). But smarter heads
> >than mine will decide.
>
> I think a good case can be made for both.  The syslog interface gives you a
> quick way to get remote logging up and running because it doesn't require
> any special programming.  On the other hand, having a socket interface gives
> you the ability to write whatever crazy program you want to process the log
> information.
>
> On the other hand, I don't want to make the boot parameters too
> complicated.  There's already too many of them and some are pretty goofy.

What about a dual-pronged approach? The first being updating Anaconda to
support the syslog API, the second being to provide a 'logger' command in
bootstrap that can be called by kickstart itself, like the one used on FBSD,
like this:

	logger -t kickstart -p local7.warn @loghost "Could not find /install/foobar.rpm to install!"

or something like that.

Klaus