kiskstart installation does not asks for network configuration

Dan Trainor info at hostinthebox.net
Wed Aug 10 19:17:41 UTC 2005

Susant Padhi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following is my kickstart file where I am not written for network
> configuration parameter. When I am using this kickstart file, the
> anaconda skips the network configuration screen. What I am doing wrong
> here?
>

> ------------------
> KICKSTART FILE
> -------------------
>
> xconfig --depth=16 --resolution=800x600 --defaultdesktop=GNOME
> --startxonboot
> #Package install information
> %packages --resolvedeps
> @ gnome-desktop
> @ dialup
> @ base-x
> @ sql-server
> @ editors
> @ printing
> @ web-server
> @ graphical-internet
> grub
> kernel
> e2fsprogs
> %post
> if [ -z  "` grep ServerFlags /etc/X11/xorg.conf`" >/dev/null 2>&1 ];
> then
>     cat /usr/bin/x.conf >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> fi
> rm /usr/bin/x.conf
> chkconfig --level 345 httpd on
> chkconfig --level 345 mysqld on
> chkconfig --level 345 xinetd on
>
> Please help.
>
> regards
> Susant

Susant -

As far as I understand Kicksart (and I may be wrong here), it is meant
to be completely automated.  The whole idea surrounding a Kickstart
install is that there is no outside interaction needed in order to get
the install done, after initial configuration of said kickstart file and
friends.

That being the case, I don't think that you can break in the middle of a
kickstart for configuration of something such as this.  However, you can
automate the process by taking a look at:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html

...with emphasis on the 'network' directive.

Hope that helps
-dant