46 kick start scripts, 46 install trees, 46 boot CDs

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Thu Aug 18 05:43:28 UTC 2005

> >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaExtendingKickstart
>
> I'm curious: why not just do it as:
>
> linux ks=http://server/path/to/ks-cfg.cgi?hostname=host&class=wkstn
>
> This is something I was just about to do, since I need to install a
> bunch of machines, and want to hardcode a few things into each machine
> (hostname, ip, ssh keys) based on who it is.  Is there some reason this
> won't work?

No, that would definitely work ... I wanted more than that, though.

- I wanted to make sure that installation would abort if a component (disk,
  NIC, host name, etc.) wasn't found - not fall back to asking me questions.
  I've got a fairly homogeneous hardware environment - if a hard drive doesn't
  work, I've got a bigger problem.

- I wanted more compact command-line syntax, so that non-admin people could
  make use of it, too.

- I wanted to be able to use a single medium to bootstrap and install multiple
  systems without having to cut a CD for every new version.

Klaus