46 kick start scripts, 46 install trees, 46 boot CDs

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Thu Aug 18 10:31:22 UTC 2005

Hi Klaus, et. al,

The info on the wiki looks excellent. I will give it a shot and report back
here how it goes making this work in our environment.

Thanks again,

Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

             Klaus Steden
             <klaus.steden at tho
             mson.net>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  Discussion list about Kickstart
             kickstart-list-bo         <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
             unces at redhat.com                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             18.08.2005 07:43          Re: 46 kick start scripts, 46
                                       install trees, 46 boot CDs

             Please respond to
              Discussion list
              about Kickstart
             <kickstart-list at r
                edhat.com>

> >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaExtendingKickstart
>
> I'm curious: why not just do it as:
>
> linux ks=http://server/path/to/ks-cfg.cgi?hostname=host&class=wkstn
>
> This is something I was just about to do, since I need to install a
> bunch of machines, and want to hardcode a few things into each machine
> (hostname, ip, ssh keys) based on who it is.  Is there some reason this
> won't work?

No, that would definitely work ... I wanted more than that, though.

- I wanted to make sure that installation would abort if a component (disk,
  NIC, host name, etc.) wasn't found - not fall back to asking me
questions.
  I've got a fairly homogeneous hardware environment - if a hard drive
doesn't
  work, I've got a bigger problem.

- I wanted more compact command-line syntax, so that non-admin people could
  make use of it, too.

- I wanted to be able to use a single medium to bootstrap and install
multiple
  systems without having to cut a CD for every new version.

Klaus