Mass Installation

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Thu Aug 25 17:25:45 UTC 2005

> Greetings,
>
> Thanks in advance for all info.
> Our task is to install many workstations from a handcrafted system. This is
> basically a automated cloning job. We prefer not to use DHCP. This task was
> done fairly easy when we used Solaris, and HPUX (I had JumpStart, and Ignite
> setup).
> While I think KickStart could do the same thing, I am not sure how easy it
> could be setup. Any thoughts on unforeseen problems? BTW, we will use RedHat4
> (both AS and ES).

Should be fairly straightforward. A number of people on this list have large
install bases across more than one distro (myself included). The Anaconda Wiki
covers a lot of this stuff in detail (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda).

KickStart will definitely do the trick, although you may have to do some
tuning to your kickstart config file, etc.

good luck,
Klaus