Installing a (compressed) image over nfs

Uwe E. Bilger uwelists at u-b.de
Wed Aug 31 20:54:32 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a recovery scenario where, upon recovery request,
an image is loaded from a server to the system via nfs.

My attempt so far was to do a minimum kickstart installation,
basically installing nothing, but rather "waiting" for the %post
section.

But from the beginng:
>From the system to be recovered, I took an image with dd and
transferred it over to the server, compressing it there:

dd if=/dev/hda | gzip -c /nfsmount/host2-hda.gz

On recovery, the post section is supposed to overwrite the whole HD
with this particular image again:

[...]
#Firewall configuration
firewall --disabled
#Do not configure XWindows
skipx
#Package install information
%packages --resolvedeps
%post
mkdir /mnt/server
mount -t nfs 192.168.2.254:/backup/images /mnt/vitels
gunzip -c /mnt/vitels/host2-hda.gz | dd of=/dev/hda

And this aint working at all.

Any ideas why?

Below is the rest of the ks.cfg

I'm also open to suggestions on how else I can resolve this. I didn't
find any documentation about the rescue option. Could that be a
possibility? Can you point me to some docs?

Thank you so much!

Uwe

#System  language
lang en_US
#Language modules to install
langsupport en_US
#System keyboard
keyboard de-latin1
#System mouse
mouse genericwheelps/2
#Sytem timezone
timezone America/New_York
#Root password
rootpw --iscrypted $1$LBYw4gs2$kV4hSBc22FQDabrINN5sn/
#Reboot after installation
reboot
#Install OS instead of upgrade
install
#Use Web installation
url --url http://192.168.2.254/fedora/4
#System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr
#Clear the Master Boot Record
zerombr yes
#Partition clearing information
clearpart --all --initlabel
#Disk partitioning information
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 100
part / --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow
part swap --size 1020
#System authorization infomation
auth  --useshadow  --enablemd5
#Network information
network --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0
network --bootproto=static --ip=10.0.2.1 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --gat
eway=10.0.
2.254 --nameserver=10.0.2.254 --device=eth1