comps RPM

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Dec 5 16:07:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Curtis Doty wrote:

>>> I've still to figure out what value this RPM actually offers. What is its
>>> history, and what is it supposed to do?

The only thing that uses comps.rpm is system-config-packages (previously
redhat-config-packages), whether you consider that to be of any value is
... well, up to you :)

Apt + Synaptic can use it as well through extensions for group operations
but whether anybody cares anymore ... I guess not. And the apt+synaptic
support doesn't actually need the rpm itself, it just needs a file in
format of comps.xml file somewhere on local fs.

 	- Panu -