RHN XMLRPC API

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 15:32:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:10:42AM +0100, Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE wrote:

> Hi Kickstarters,
>
> my question relates tangentially to anaconda, so bear with me if you can.
> Possibly nobody knows a thing about this, but maybe somebody knows somebody
> else who does know.
>
> I am trying to use the XMLRPC based RHN API to automate the sorting and
> downloading of specific typs of updates (there is no other way to get a
> list of the security updates, for example, because up2date only gives you
> all updates of a particular channel, with security, bugfixes, and feature
> enhancements alle mixed together.) Described here:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/RHNetwork/ref-guide/4.0/ap-rhn-api-access.html
>
> This relates to my installs, because I would like to have Kickstart apply
> all current security updates during a new installation. I realize its not a
> Kickstart question, but you guys have such a wealth of knowledge, I'm
> hoping somebody out there has experience interfcaing with RHN via the API.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Christian
>
> PS. I'm trying to use the Frontier XMLRPC module for Perl, as it is
> described in the sample code:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/RHNetwork/ref-guide/4.0/s1-rhn-api-script.html
> which I can't get to work.

Hi Christian,

I have the example script provided by redhat working against our
satellite.

However, I'm a little underwhelmed by the API. It only provides access
to a small subset of the info available in the db.

There isn't much info on this so I'm trying to get beyond the RHN pdfs.

I've subscribed to rhn-users and rhn-satellite-users so that should be a
start.

If anyone knows of other detailed sites please do let me know.

I'm willing to roll my sleeves up and hack the API to get new methods
that do more, if required.

Thanks,

Ben.

--