RHEL4: cannot kickstart clients with Broadcom DCM5751 Gigabit

Alex TOURNIER alexandre.tournier at jrc.it
Tue Dec 13 08:39:59 UTC 2005

I have a serious problem with a RHEL4 KS installation.
My KS server works well because I can perform installation with no
problems on various hardware plaforms.
However the latest hardware platform I was delivered (ie Siemens Celsius
R630) the installation fails.
I am almost sure that the problem is with the NIC (Broadcom NetXtreme
DCM 5751 Gigabit ), it looks like the NIC is somehow turned off (even
if  enabled in the BIOS) , or not working at the right speed and thus
the DHCP server is not able to assign the IP. On the DHCP server nothing
appears in the log file (as if there was no communication at all). I
boot the client from a CD  (made  with the images available on the 1st
CD of RHEL 4 distrib)....I also tried to make another CD including the
driver from BROADCOM (bcm5700.ko instead of tg3.ho), but no success. If
I disable the Broadcom NIC, and insert a second NIC the KS install works
fine using this second NIC!!!!

I would be very happy of any advice that could help me in solving the
problem, I have many of these PC to be installed, and I need disperatly
a  KS solution...
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Alex

--
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Alexandre TOURNIER

Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Global Vegetation Monitoring

TP 440
Via Fermi,1
I-21020 ISPRA (VA)
ITALY

tel:    +x-332-785694
fax:    +x-332-789073
e-mail: alexandre.tournier at jrc.it
web:    http://www-gvm.jrc.it/it_support/
FTP:    ftp://ftp-gvm.jrc.it

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission." (Disclaimer required under the terms and conditions of use of the internet and electronic mail from Commission equipment)