echo and logging in %post

Hopefully you can help on this.

I'm doing a kickstart installation on Fedora Core 4.
I like to install some additional packages in the %post part of kickstart.

I like to create a new file and want to write something into it.
Here is my code:
echo $RANDOM > "/root/ID"

The result in the file is always fine.
But the new file name is strange to me.
If I do a "ls -l" I get "ID?" displayed.
If I just write the beginning of the file and use the TAB-key then I get "ID^M".

What is wrong?
And how can I see all the output while the system does all the %post commands?

Thank you very much in advance.
Ingo