Problems doing a ks over NFS

MW Mike Weiner (5028) MWeiner at ag.com
Mon Dec 19 15:31:23 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com] On

>> Are you sure the DHCP relay is working? What happens outside of a
>> kickstart install?
>
> Well I would think that since I see messages on the kickstart server
> FROM the dhcprelay server, that this would imply things are kinda
> sorta working, yes.

I'd suggest checking to make sure.

> As for NFS, yes I know that's working as I can do a 'same vlan'
> kickstart over NFS and that works fine.

I'd suggest checking to make sure. In both cases you appear to have
given reasons why things should be working through indirect evidence.

--
This is far from a complete DHCP exchange; the client is not receiving
any "offer". Why the "unknown subnet" errors?

Uhmmm the fact that a kickstart install over NFS works, is direct
evidence, not indirect evidence, that the  NFS on the same subnet works
- I have evidence in the logs that the ks servers recieves an NFS call
etc, so THIS WORKS - period.

Now, I would agree on the dhcrelay side however, but am unsure how to
truly test this - especially when my poor boxes are 1000 miles away. Tho
I could take one of the two interfaces and switch it from static to dhcp
and temporarily 'break' the box and test it that way. But is there a
convenient way to test the communication between dhcrelay and dhcpd
server without necessarily having to do that?

I pasted the snippet from the log to illustrate the errors that caused
me to even begin this thread. If I werent seing those errors, I would
imagine things would most likely be working. But they arent. I
understand dhcp wont natively work across subnets without permitting
dhcp forwarding on the switches that these servers are plumbed into - I
cant enable that, so I went for the relay-styled communication to get
around that issue.

I appreciate your help however Phil!!!!!

Michael Weiner