Kickstart across subnets

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Dec 28 03:55:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, MW Mike Weiner (5028) wrote:

> I created a ks boot cd, with all the required files (i.e. vmlinuz,
> initrd.img, isolinux.bin, etc) and the key line in my isolinux.cfg is as
> follows:
>
> label linux
>  kernel vmlinuz
>  append ksdevice=eth1 console=tty0 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0
> initrd=initrd.img network ip=dhcp
> ks=nfs:192.168.34.248:/tftpboot/ks-fc2.cfg selinux=0

Why the console, load_ramdisk, prompt_ramdisk, and network arguments?
I'm not sure these are necessary, and they potentially cloud the
problem.

Is it possible that the network switches for the problematic machines
are taking some time to bring up the port? This can happen with high(er)
end hardware and the Spanning Tree Protocol. anaconda's undocumented
"linksleep" setting can help here.

> I have to complete these 400+ kickstarts by the end of January 2006.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Phil