Problems with Fedora core 3

Martin Høy marhoy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 10:06:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:42:35 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III
<tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> MH> But the updated install somehow triggers a bug(?), so that when I
> MH> reboot the machine after installing, kudzu reports the ethernet
> MH> card, soundcard and sata-controller as "new hardware" which needs
> MH> to be configured.
>
> That's new to me; perhaps the updated kernel detects devices in a
> different order, so that kudzu thinks they're all new?  This wouldn't
> have been a problem before since the kernel in the boot image would
> have been the same as the freshly installed one.
>
> You could try building fresh boot images too, but unfortunately I
> can't offer any advice on how to do that.  As an experiment, you could
> try updating everything but the kernel.  (I.e. start from a fresh tree
> from the DVD image, pull down the updates and delete the new kernel
> packages.  Then run the update and try an install.)

Hello again,

I tried the first approach (updating the boot.iso too), which turned out
to be both easy and successful: Everything now works like a charm,
and the kudzu-trouble is gone.

The commands I used to rebuild all the boot/install-files was:

export PATH="$PATH:/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime"
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/anaconda

buildinstall --pkgorder <pkgorder-file> --version 3 --product \
'Fedora Core' --release 'Fedora Core 3' --prodpath Fedora \
/disk1/fc3-updated/i386/os

where <pkgorder-file> is the pkgorder-file produced by your update-script,
and /disk1/fc3-updated/i386/os is of course the path to my updated tree.

You could even include this as an option in your update-script.

PS: The buildinstall have to be run as root, as it tries to do e.g. some
keyboard-things that only root is allowed to.

Regards,

Martin