generic ks.cfg to auto-partition raid0 on X number of disks.

Kevin M. Shortt shortt at cgicafe.com
Fri Jan 14 21:47:09 UTC 2005

> Is it possible to create a generic ks.cfg to work for all?

    I've just joined this group. I am new to Kickstart.
    I found this site useful.

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/part-install-info.html

> I've tried but I have not understood the what raid.X means....

    I think the X is just an arbitrary label for mapping purposes.
    i.e...I built a machine. two 120 GB disks. RAID1 and Vol grouped.
    I used RAID 1 for "/". the created a VG and with RAID1 on that.
    Then I diced the VG up for my filesystems.

    Here's what the anaconda through into my anaconda-ks.cfg.

    part raid.24 --size=100 --grow --maxsize=500 --ondisk=hda --asprimary
    part raid.26 --size=100 --grow --maxsize=500 --ondisk=hdc --asprimary
    part raid.27 --size=100 --grow --ondisk=hdc
    part raid.25 --size=100 --grow --ondisk=hda
    raid / --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 raid.24 raid.26
    raid pv.29 --level=RAID1 raid.25 raid.27
    volgroup vg00 pv.29

    It appears to start at a number (in my case 24) and continue to increment
    it for labeling purposes only. It does not appear to be a significance
    to the number itself. RH expert's please correct me if I am wrong.

> Any ideas / tips on how to achieve this?

    This page illustrates how you may script your ks to adjust to the given
    hardware....

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-kickstart2-preinstallconfig.html

    I hope this helps..
    Good luck.