Problems with Fedora core 3

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Jan 31 16:42:35 UTC 2005

MH> But the updated install somehow triggers a bug(?), so that when I
MH> reboot the machine after installing, kudzu reports the ethernet
MH> card, soundcard and sata-controller as "new hardware" which needs
MH> to be configured.

That's new to me; perhaps the updated kernel detects devices in a
different order, so that kudzu thinks they're all new?  This wouldn't
have been a problem before since the kernel in the boot image would
have been the same as the freshly installed one.

You could try building fresh boot images too, but unfortunately I
can't offer any advice on how to do that.  As an experiment, you could
try updating everything but the kernel.  (I.e. start from a fresh tree
from the DVD image, pull down the updates and delete the new kernel
packages.  Then run the update and try an install.)

 - J<