anaconda network install

Ryan Nelson ryan at email.arc.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 8 02:23:18 UTC 2005

Paul Ionescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I install FC or RH from network, with DHCP settings.
>
> Is there an option to send the default ftp/http/nfs server and the
> directory via DHCP instead of entering manually ?
> Maybe is not something standard, but we can use some vendor DHCP options
> for this.
>
> Or even better, can we give to anaconda a kickstart file through DHCP ?
> I don't want to put all the time
> "ks=http://someaddress/somedirectory/some_kickstartfile" when I need to
> install a PC.
>
> I think, that by default, if we specify "ks" to anaconda, to try and get
> it first from a dhcp server on first eth, then on second eth, a.s.o, then
> go to normal behavior. And we try the following files:
> "info_from_dhcp" + "mac address of that card"
> "info from dhcp" + "ip address of that card"
> "info from dhcp"
>
> This would ease networked installs and automation of them.
> Is this doable ?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Well I wouldn't want my DHCP server giving out the KS file to everyone
or I don't want to have to enter a MAC address + IP + KS file into my
dhcp server each time.

What I have done is modified the isolinux.cfg to contain the ks line as
well.  This way all I have to have is my build network which gives out
DHCP to any system and a boot cd that I tell which version of linux I
want to install.

Works for me and I think might be a little cleaner. (Although I sure
theirs cleaner)

Ryan