Kickstart via HTTPS?

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Wed Jan 19 23:18:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Tedman Eng wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if Kickstart supports HTTPS as an installation method.
>
> Or, perhaps someone can suggest another method for securely transferring
> sensitive information (usernames, passwords, etc) during the install.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

I know the Rocks project uses ssl-encrypted kickstart, so it
can be done, but I think they added code not in the normal
installer.  If I remember correctly they don't use https because
the overhead is too big, they just do ssl encryption across
normal http.

If it's just a password or two there is the

password --iscrypted

command which allows you to put in an encrypted password.

Steve