kickstart and network configuration

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Fri Jul 15 17:59:48 UTC 2005

--On Friday, July 15, 2005 10:55 AM -0700 Phil Oester <kernel at linuxace.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:50:11PM -0400, Scott Adkins wrote:
>> I am having an issue with using a single kickstart for two different
>> models of similar hardware (IBM Blade Center model 8678 and model 8832).
>> Apparently,
>> the newer model flips its concept of what is the primary ethernet,
>> causing eth1 to come up instead of eth0.  Since both interfaces actually
>> have link state on them, I can't just "not specify" and expect the right
>> one to be chosen.  So, I am trying to find a better way to adapt to the
>> hardware.
>>
>> First off, the line "network --bootproto dhcp --device eth1" is required
>> to get the newer blades to boot.  However, it will break the older
>> blades.
>
> How about something like this in PRE:
>
> if [ -n "dmidecode | grep 8678" ] ; then
>    echo "network --bootproto dhcp --device eth1" > /tmp/ksnet
> else
>    echo "network --bootproto dhcp --device eth0" > /tmp/ksnet
> fi
>
> Then %include /tmp/ksnet where you would normally put the network
> line.  Since you mention serial numbers, you could also use
> that in your tests.
>
> Phil

Wow!  I have been looking for all kinds of commands that would give the
model type, and you came up with one right away! :)

I will give that a try, and I won't need to do anything with serial
numbers, hopefully :)

So, I am still confused about %PRE.  Does it execute after every reboot?
Or does it execute only once, after something specific occurs?

Thanks!
Scott
      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/