Console based kickstart file generator

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Fri Jul 1 09:11:56 UTC 2005

Hi ,

RHEL 3 and 4 (NOT 2.1, atleast not as delivered - you'd need to modify it)
are able to use the %include tag in their kickstartscripts. By including
external files that contain kickstart directives, you can dynamically
create parts of the kickstart script on-the-fly. Anaconda accomplishes this
by running the kickstart script twice. In your %pre script you can ask
questions which you can then use to generate other parts of the kickstart
script (via %include). You can use this to make a list of packages and
define the disk partitioning dynamically. Since your %pre script can run sh
or python, you can do tests on the system, including looking in /proc,
running fdisk or parted, etc. to determine your system configuration and
take action accordingly.

Cheers,

Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

             "Chowdhury,
             Chandan Dutta"
             <chandan-dutta.ch                                          To
             owdhury at hp.com>           "Discussion list about Kickstart"
             Sent by:                  <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
             kickstart-list-bo                                          cc
             unces at redhat.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Console based kickstart file
             01.07.2005 06:34          generator

             Please respond to
              Discussion list
              about Kickstart
             <kickstart-list at r
                edhat.com>

Hello all,

Thanks to all for you for the replies, what I really want to control is
the partitioning sizes and the package selection part of kickstart, I
wan to give the user the ability to choose the package and partition
sizes all other kickstart features are hidden from them. Now how do I
get the package list for the distribution and the hard disk specs. I
would prefer to do it by shell script/dialog , but I am not restricting
the options only to this if need be .

Thanks in advance for all help

Regards
-CDC